Welcome

CURRENTLY VISITING HAWAII!!

Hawaii

Hawaii
Akaka Falls

See the World for Free

The idea here is to TRAVEL THE WORLD regardless of time or budget. It dawned on me one day that even if I had unlimited time and money (which I definitley do not), I still couldn't see everything in the world that I'd like to see--I'm simply not going to live long enough to do it.

But I had a bit of brain wave and soon after the travel envelope was born. This is an actual physical envelope. I typed the name of every country in the world, plus every state in the US on little slips of paper which I then put into the envelope. In the beginning we (myself, my husband, Dave and daugher Catherine) would draw out a slip at random at the beginning of the month and that's where we would go---at least in our minds. We grab some books about the country from the library and put them in our bathroom to look at. We also check out some videos about the country if any. We check it out on googleearth, listen to the music, try the food, maybe even attempt to learn a dance or celebrate a festival.

After the first two years we discovered that even virtual traveling can be tiring, so we travel now whenever I happen to be in the mood.

It's great fun. I especially love it when people I meet have been to the place I'm "visiting" in real life, or get excited and have some virtual adventures of their own. I hope that anyone who comes across this blog will feel welcome to come with us on the trip!



You have a standing reservation to see it all!

Jul 9, 2015

July 9, London

Sounds like a fun day. The buses were slow, so simply began walking.  This is the first time the entire tube system has been down since 2002. Saw the BBC.


And followed it up by seeing the Minion movie. Very nice theater, not crowded, not very air-conditioned and not very buttery popcorn, but a fun show. She especially enjoyed that it was set in London. After that she continued her walk toward Buckingham, but gave up and took the bus after all. The buses weren't so crowded then, but the traffic was terrible. She picked up an ice-cream but failed to pick one up for the queen.  She caught the guards in this pose. Queen Victoria once caught the guards talking and so declared that they must face each other silently for 20 minutes every day for the next 100 years.






 M and M world. It's much bigger than the one in Las Vegas.


She allowed herself to be scanned to discover her official color.  "Your color mood is purple. You have a thirst for knowledge that won't ever be quenched. Same goes for chocolate."  Yup. That's accurate.


Moving on, she picked up a book on drawing faces, she says it's the best she's ever seen. Obviously, I will have to borrow this.

Then on to the Ripley's museum. I love these things. And based on the shows like this that I've seen, the British are weirder than anybody. Here are a few of the things she saw:

The original Humbug sweet machine from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.


A lovely knitted Ferrari


A portrait of Kate done in lipstick kisses


And this story of Jeremy Bentham---possibly along with Jeremy himself. 


And happy days, even though she couldn't get onto the first two buses because they were full, she did get on the third and even got to sit down on the way back to the hostel. 

No comments:

Post a Comment