Welcome

CURRENTLY VISITING HAWAII!!

Hawaii

Hawaii
Akaka Falls

See the World for Free

The idea here is to TRAVEL THE WORLD regardless of time or budget. It dawned on me one day that even if I had unlimited time and money (which I definitley do not), I still couldn't see everything in the world that I'd like to see--I'm simply not going to live long enough to do it.

But I had a bit of brain wave and soon after the travel envelope was born. This is an actual physical envelope. I typed the name of every country in the world, plus every state in the US on little slips of paper which I then put into the envelope. In the beginning we (myself, my husband, Dave and daugher Catherine) would draw out a slip at random at the beginning of the month and that's where we would go---at least in our minds. We grab some books about the country from the library and put them in our bathroom to look at. We also check out some videos about the country if any. We check it out on googleearth, listen to the music, try the food, maybe even attempt to learn a dance or celebrate a festival.

After the first two years we discovered that even virtual traveling can be tiring, so we travel now whenever I happen to be in the mood.

It's great fun. I especially love it when people I meet have been to the place I'm "visiting" in real life, or get excited and have some virtual adventures of their own. I hope that anyone who comes across this blog will feel welcome to come with us on the trip!



You have a standing reservation to see it all!

Jul 7, 2015

July 7, London

One great thing about us being home again is that we get to skype with Catherine.  We learned that her dorm is a mixed dorm. The first night was all girls, but the second day she was treated to a view of an older gentleman in boxers right at eye-level. We skyped for about an hour and walked with her through the heart of London today.  Today she had a full English breakfast, (not at the hostel).



and then went to Trafalger square. Not terribly impressed with the square although it does have a Tardis post box.


Getting a little jaded with travel perhaps? Looks impressive to me.


A pretty girl and a pretty bridge.



 From there she went to the National Gallery and saw Van Gogh's sunflowers plus some DaVinci, Raphael etc. She also saw some floating yodas. I wonder if Yoda makes more money than the floating person in Krakow?

Next stop was Westminster Abbey


and after that she skyped us, and Dave helpfully directed her to the most important site in London, the Mr. Pancake truck.


 She obligingly ate one--actually the "Big Ben" crepe as she walked across the Thames. The bridge had both a bagpiper and a poem by Wordsworth. She walked by Jubilee Gardens near the London Eye. The plan was to find the Disney Store and Build a Bear and see Handel's house and then call it a day. I'm not sure yet if she saw those things, what she DID find was Hamley's toy store which she says puts FAO Schwartz to shame. 


I just knew she'd get to meet the queen!



Only downside there was the guy who flew a nano drone into her head.  Along the way, to her delight, she found standing tickets to the Lion King. She bought one and finished the day with the play which she says was amazing. 




No comments:

Post a Comment