Welcome

CURRENTLY VISITING HAWAII!!

Hawaii

Hawaii
Akaka Falls

See the World for Free

The idea here is to TRAVEL THE WORLD regardless of time or budget. It dawned on me one day that even if I had unlimited time and money (which I definitley do not), I still couldn't see everything in the world that I'd like to see--I'm simply not going to live long enough to do it.

But I had a bit of brain wave and soon after the travel envelope was born. This is an actual physical envelope. I typed the name of every country in the world, plus every state in the US on little slips of paper which I then put into the envelope. In the beginning we (myself, my husband, Dave and daugher Catherine) would draw out a slip at random at the beginning of the month and that's where we would go---at least in our minds. We grab some books about the country from the library and put them in our bathroom to look at. We also check out some videos about the country if any. We check it out on googleearth, listen to the music, try the food, maybe even attempt to learn a dance or celebrate a festival.

After the first two years we discovered that even virtual traveling can be tiring, so we travel now whenever I happen to be in the mood.

It's great fun. I especially love it when people I meet have been to the place I'm "visiting" in real life, or get excited and have some virtual adventures of their own. I hope that anyone who comes across this blog will feel welcome to come with us on the trip!



You have a standing reservation to see it all!

Jul 31, 2015

July 31, New York to HOME!!!

Not much sleep on the airplane. She got to NYC around 8 at night. The global traveler's card came in handy, she zipped through customs in 3 minutes. The expensive bag she checked in didn't zip nearly so nicely, but she got it at last. Got on the subway and took a long ride to her hostel. Well, almost to her hostel. Through out this whole trip, this night was the only night I felt uneasy about her safety. I'm glad I didn't know this. The train that would have taken her all the way to her hostel was out of service, so she had to take the next best thing which didn't drop her off at all close, so there she was all alone in the middle of the night with all of her stuff walking in a sketchy area of Manhattan. A guy started following her just as she got to her hostel. I'm glad I didn't know about this until after the fact when she was safe.

Up at a fairly reasonable hour, American time. She got herself a big bagel from Zuckers--THE place to get a real NYC bagel.




 and went to the library.


She also saw Build a Bear again and spent a little time at Central Park, but wisely went to the airport early. Or tried to. The trains were having serious delays, so she opted for the Airport Express bus. That got her there.  Once there, the plane itself had delays. Not clear what, exactly was broken, but at least something on the inside. A little unnerving to have the plane being openly fixed as one is boarding it. 


But, ok. Safely to Dallas. Where the plane was also delayed. No idea why. The skies were clear. This was unfortunate as the SLC arrival was already due to be sufficiently late at 11:52 p.m. Dave and I went to a late movie and went bleary-eyed to the airport.  Plane indeed late, but not as late as we feared.  Totally breaking with protocol, Catherine was one of the FIRST off the plane! But this was made up for by the baggage taking forever. We didn't get out of the airport till 2:00 a.m. We figured we'd zip right home on empty roads. No. There was a traffic jam on I-15!! We got home at 3:00 a.m, so all of us are out of whack sleep-wise today. But what an adventure! And SO glad to have her home again!!





No comments:

Post a Comment