Welcome

CURRENTLY VISITING HAWAII!!

Hawaii

Hawaii
Akaka Falls

See the World for Free

The idea here is to TRAVEL THE WORLD regardless of time or budget. It dawned on me one day that even if I had unlimited time and money (which I definitley do not), I still couldn't see everything in the world that I'd like to see--I'm simply not going to live long enough to do it.

But I had a bit of brain wave and soon after the travel envelope was born. This is an actual physical envelope. I typed the name of every country in the world, plus every state in the US on little slips of paper which I then put into the envelope. In the beginning we (myself, my husband, Dave and daugher Catherine) would draw out a slip at random at the beginning of the month and that's where we would go---at least in our minds. We grab some books about the country from the library and put them in our bathroom to look at. We also check out some videos about the country if any. We check it out on googleearth, listen to the music, try the food, maybe even attempt to learn a dance or celebrate a festival.

After the first two years we discovered that even virtual traveling can be tiring, so we travel now whenever I happen to be in the mood.

It's great fun. I especially love it when people I meet have been to the place I'm "visiting" in real life, or get excited and have some virtual adventures of their own. I hope that anyone who comes across this blog will feel welcome to come with us on the trip!



You have a standing reservation to see it all!

May 21, 2010

Piranha

Well.....I began with good intentions.  Thinking of cool things in a rain forest, I naturally thought of piranha.  I did a search, but unfortunately for the quest of knowledge, the first hit was the 1978 movie Piranha.  I've been breaking my brains over a math class all week and had reached the point of frustration where nothing sounded better than feeding innocent people to hungry piranha.  Oddly enough, the 1978 movie is supposedly quite good.  I wouldn't know.  The video store only had MEGA PIRANHA.  It's a new release and is gloriously, hopelessly awful.  It was just the thing--people tromping through the rain forest (although not Suriname) and the piranha getting bigger and meaner every minute until they ate a nuclear submarine and the only thing that saved the world was that a brave navy seal got in the water with them and killed one thereby causing a feeding frenzy.  Why this caused a frenzy instead of just one piranha gulping the dead fish parts and then continuing toward Washington DC I don't know.  And I don't know why it worked this last time when it didn't work twice before earlier in the movie.  The important thing is that mankind is saved! And the bad guy got eaten (fish leaped out of the water and ate him, helicopter and all).  

The moral here is probably a good one---don't go swimming in remote Amazon rivers. (I think I may have figured out this moral without help)  And stay seated in the boat!  No one in this movie had any kind of balance whatsoever and would fall into the river at the slightest movement.   But no need to worry about crocodiles, hippos, leeches, bugs or anything else--apparently those things never bother anybody.

No comments:

Post a Comment