Welcome

CURRENTLY VISITING HAWAII!!

Hawaii

Hawaii
Akaka Falls

See the World for Free

The idea here is to TRAVEL THE WORLD regardless of time or budget. It dawned on me one day that even if I had unlimited time and money (which I definitley do not), I still couldn't see everything in the world that I'd like to see--I'm simply not going to live long enough to do it.

But I had a bit of brain wave and soon after the travel envelope was born. This is an actual physical envelope. I typed the name of every country in the world, plus every state in the US on little slips of paper which I then put into the envelope. In the beginning we (myself, my husband, Dave and daugher Catherine) would draw out a slip at random at the beginning of the month and that's where we would go---at least in our minds. We grab some books about the country from the library and put them in our bathroom to look at. We also check out some videos about the country if any. We check it out on googleearth, listen to the music, try the food, maybe even attempt to learn a dance or celebrate a festival.

After the first two years we discovered that even virtual traveling can be tiring, so we travel now whenever I happen to be in the mood.

It's great fun. I especially love it when people I meet have been to the place I'm "visiting" in real life, or get excited and have some virtual adventures of their own. I hope that anyone who comes across this blog will feel welcome to come with us on the trip!



You have a standing reservation to see it all!

Feb 3, 2010

Nicaragua October 2009

Not exactly what springs to mind when one thinks of a vacation paradise, but apparently even Nicaragua has a tourist industry. But don’t go to the capitol city Managua!


For some reason Managua is the only place in the world that doesn’t use miles, kilometers or even North, South, East or West. Everything is relative. The use their own form of measurement (which I have forgotten) and directions sound like this, “Go three mm’s (mystery measurement) to the church and turn left, then 9 mm’s to Carlo’s house and veer right again…. This goes on for pages. The problem is that the city was wiped out by an earthquake in the 70’s and mostly never rebuilt. So the church is now a Laundromat, and Carlo’s house is gone. And if you think you’ll just simplify things by walking and asking directions at every intersection forget it. The sun is boiling hot, everything is miles and miles apart, and all the missing manhole covers make any walk treacherous.

You know how tourist guide books put a positive spin on everything? Well Fodor’s couldn’t manage to find anything much to say about Managua. Fly in and get out is their advice.

My readings on this country were a bit schizophrenic. I tried to nail down once and for all who the Sandinistas were and why the US was involved in that mess. Wish I could tell you, but I only managed to move from a thick mental fog to a slightly thinner one. On the other hand, since the only thing I associated with Nicaragua was war, I went out of my way to look at pictures of anything else. It is a beautiful country.

To celebrate Nicaragua we invited my sister and nephew up for a dinner of carne asada with two kinds of pico de gallo. I made one version with a habenero pepper and one without, but I was too timid with the habenero and both versions turned out pretty mild. For dessert we had “pastille de los tres leches” or cake of the three milks. This dessert originated in Nicaragua and has become so popular that versions of it can be found all over Latin America. It’s basically a white cake made with a whole lot of eggs. When the cake is cooked, you take it out and make hundreds of little holes in it with a skewer. Then you pour a mix of whole milk, sweetened condensed milk and evaporated milk over the whole thing and let it sit. The cake is extremely moist, very dense and just very plain. I took most of it to work and fed it to the office.

No comments:

Post a Comment