Welcome

CURRENTLY VISITING HAWAII!!

Hawaii

Hawaii
Akaka Falls

See the World for Free

The idea here is to TRAVEL THE WORLD regardless of time or budget. It dawned on me one day that even if I had unlimited time and money (which I definitley do not), I still couldn't see everything in the world that I'd like to see--I'm simply not going to live long enough to do it.

But I had a bit of brain wave and soon after the travel envelope was born. This is an actual physical envelope. I typed the name of every country in the world, plus every state in the US on little slips of paper which I then put into the envelope. In the beginning we (myself, my husband, Dave and daugher Catherine) would draw out a slip at random at the beginning of the month and that's where we would go---at least in our minds. We grab some books about the country from the library and put them in our bathroom to look at. We also check out some videos about the country if any. We check it out on googleearth, listen to the music, try the food, maybe even attempt to learn a dance or celebrate a festival.

After the first two years we discovered that even virtual traveling can be tiring, so we travel now whenever I happen to be in the mood.

It's great fun. I especially love it when people I meet have been to the place I'm "visiting" in real life, or get excited and have some virtual adventures of their own. I hope that anyone who comes across this blog will feel welcome to come with us on the trip!



You have a standing reservation to see it all!

Jan 29, 2010

United Kingdom April 2009

This will be our first do-over. Doing England, Scotland and Ireland all in one month was just too big and diluted the fun. While any country is too big to “do” in just one month, some are worse than others. China, France and Italy for example will all have too many things I want to explore to be happily accommodated in a month. The difference is that China for all its complexity, is ONE place in my mind, whereas England, Scotland and Ireland are THREE places. No problem, we traveled around the UK in a sort of aimless fashion and then turned around and put England, Scotland and Ireland back in the envelope on their own separate slips of paper.


I have a fondness for English royalty, but did not have time to re read The Six Wives of King Henry the VIII (great PBS series as well) and so started the trip with a visit to the crown jewels on the internet. The jewels were rather large for my taste, but I suppose if I were to be presented with one I would graciously accept.

Speaking of gracious, I also checked out a video on Queen Victoria. One of those people who are so famous that I assume I know lots about them, when in truth, I know nothing at all! Now I know a little more and am again reminded how lucky I am to be a peasant than a ruler. Although I would love to dress up in one of those fabulous gowns every now and then and go to a ball.

Dave was out of town for the weekend, but Catherine and I thought we’d hang out in Ireland and checked out a dvd supposedly on Irish step dancing. HA! I’d like to see the incredibly gifted person who could possibly learn anything from this dvd! Lightning fast, and very complex—it could have been called, “Irish step dancing from beginner to River dance in 30 minutes.” Both cats were thoroughly alarmed by our “dancing.” We decided that while it might be true that the two of us lack talent dancing, the makers of the dvd had even less talent movie making. Will try again (different program!) when we go back to Ireland.

I meant to read MacBeth as a tribute to Scotland, but didn’t get around to it—though I did check out the dvd which sat on a shelf---another reason for the do over.

Naturally the meal of the month was an English high-tea. My sister, Lisa, and her roommate, Kristin, came over and we laid out the finest of everything. I made cucumber and watercress sandwiches, and cookies with authentic lemon curd. Lisa and Kristin made all kinds of yummy little delicacies presented on a very spiffy plate.



Catherine and Lisa at High Tea---note the gorgeous tablecloth made by by mother

After dining, we had a little Shakespeare in the form of our “Shakespeare in a Box” kit. The kit provides an abbreviated script and an assortment of tacky props so you can put on your own play on the spur of the moment. Great fun! We did part of The Taming of the Shrew. I was a little surprised that Shakespeare himself didn’t rise from his grave to try and stop the performance. But he didn’t, so the show went on.

Part of me is often to be found in England by way of Agatha Christie mysteries, Jeeves and Wooster videos and of course Keeping up Appearances with Hyacinth Bucket.

No comments:

Post a Comment