Welcome

CURRENTLY VISITING HAWAII!!

Hawaii

Hawaii
Akaka Falls

See the World for Free

The idea here is to TRAVEL THE WORLD regardless of time or budget. It dawned on me one day that even if I had unlimited time and money (which I definitley do not), I still couldn't see everything in the world that I'd like to see--I'm simply not going to live long enough to do it.

But I had a bit of brain wave and soon after the travel envelope was born. This is an actual physical envelope. I typed the name of every country in the world, plus every state in the US on little slips of paper which I then put into the envelope. In the beginning we (myself, my husband, Dave and daugher Catherine) would draw out a slip at random at the beginning of the month and that's where we would go---at least in our minds. We grab some books about the country from the library and put them in our bathroom to look at. We also check out some videos about the country if any. We check it out on googleearth, listen to the music, try the food, maybe even attempt to learn a dance or celebrate a festival.

After the first two years we discovered that even virtual traveling can be tiring, so we travel now whenever I happen to be in the mood.

It's great fun. I especially love it when people I meet have been to the place I'm "visiting" in real life, or get excited and have some virtual adventures of their own. I hope that anyone who comes across this blog will feel welcome to come with us on the trip!



You have a standing reservation to see it all!

Feb 14, 2010

Afghanistan--Fistula

The dvd I've been watching is "Motherland Afghanistan".  A documentary.  The cover states that one in seven Afghan women die in childbirth--the second highest maternal mortality rate in the world.  Appalling--and that doesn't count the women who live but whose babies die, or the women who live but develop some horrible problem.  I've learned what a "fistula" is and am more grateful than ever to live in America.  A fistula is a connection between two organs that shouldn't be there.  In the case of the poor woman in the movie the connection was between the vagina and the bladder.  She had been leaking urine constantly for four years, and her whole lower body was blistered. 

Human misery isn't unique to Afghanistan of course.  Which is all the more reason that I feel l like my life comes straight from the pages of "Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous" today. After I finished writing this entry from my cushioned swivel chair in my personal office in my nicely heated home, with multiple rooms that I share with only two other people--I will take one of my favorite books--that I am able to read, and some clean underwear and pajamas, to the bathroom, where I will fill the tub with hot water that is clean enough to drink if I had to, and take a long soak using shampoo and other products freely.  After that I can enjoy the flushable toilet, and a decent toothbrush.  I'll kiss the cats--who eat better than many children, goodnight, and go to sleep on a first class mattress in a bed that I share only with Dave, with the fan providing a light breeze.  Catherine, who enjoys all the above luxuries, is already asleep in her own room.  Tomorrow is a holiday and all of us will sleep in.  A lazy breakfast will come from the well-stocked refrigerator...and so on it goes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment